Food is good, while you wait

October 23, 2007

The sky is orange here and ash is falling from the sky. There are now two fires on our base in addition to the other 16 burning across Southern California–one of them is right where John’s been working the past few weeks. He was, um, obviously told to stay home from work today. My dad is still fighting one of the fires–tired and working incredibly hard, but he’s okay. And, thankfully–never thought I’d be saying THIS at 39 wks!!–we still don’t have a new baby.

So we’re just waiting today. Hanging out in comfy clothes, keeping everything closed up (my eyes and nose are still burning, even with the windows all closed), watching movies, doing our best to keep up with the news… we’re not personally in any immediate danger right where we are, for now… but now we’re keeping a close eye on the fires on base.

So… since I’m just waiting around today–though I AM doing laundry, gathering my stack of ironing to work on later, and planning to finish the couple yummy goodness things we didn’t get to on Friday… lest you think we’re totally lazy, ahem–I thought I’d give you a couple of those scrumptious recipes from Friday’s meal making.

Two of them can be found in this here blogosphere–

The enchiladas came from my friend Tammy’s cooking websitehere. Seriously, I just tried the recipe on a whim one day, and have never been so happy that I did. Even my cousin and teenage brother rave about and crave these things. Which isn’t really saying much, since, of course, they are teenage guys, but, you know, it helps.

And those wonderful chicken pot pies–the came courtesy of Mrs. Fink, here. Before Troy was born, I’d made two chicken pot pies to freeze, which sadly came out quite bland and icky. John said they were good, but he’s also the guy who hates mushrooms and yet will eat them when served to him. I knew I could trust Mrs. Fink, and she sure didn’t disappoint me. These are simply delectable chicken pot pies. Seriously.

As for the rest of the yummy-ness, I figured I’d post one or two recipes at a time, that way you’re not overwhelmed with great yearning for food that clogs the arteries all at once.

Though, honestly, I’m typing on a lap top that has some key-recognition issues, thus discouraging me from doing too much typing. Like, not more than one recipe at the moment. I’m already feeling about ready to give up and go to the big computer, but that would require, you know, MOVEMENT, and there’s just not enough energy in this here body right now.

So, that’s right… on to the food.

John’s Mom’s Incredible Lasagna

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (I use onion powder–I have a hubby with some odd
preferences when it comes to certain textures)
2 cups (16 oz can) tomatoes (can use tomato puree or blend tomatoes in a
blender if you have a “particular” husband)
6 oz can tomato paste
1/3 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb lasagna noodles, cooked
12 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Brown meat, drain. Stir in onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, water and
seasonings. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Cook noodles while meat sauce
simmers.

In 9×13 dish, layer half of the noodles, half of meat sauce, and half of
each cheese, repeat layers. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Notice all that cheese? Mmhmm…. thus why this is always a “treat” meal for us. Like, after I’ve had a baby and need some comfort food.

And, lest you think that John is a picky eater, I’ll assure you that he is not… he just has a few specific preferences that I like to indulge, just because, you know, I’m his wife and all that. He doesn’t particularly care for chunks of onion, tomato or mushrooms, BUT, if served them, he’ll always eat them. Always. Which I can’t necessarily say for myself. When I’m picky, I’m picky… er, uh, particular, as my aunt would put it.

I’ll post the recipes for The Sweet Stuff later this week–the fudge and the chocolaty peanut butter “Reese’s Pieces.”

You should see the sky outside, peeps… it’s getting worse by the hour. Completely orange now, and so covering the sun that at 3pm it feels like late in the evening. I haven’t seen this kind of smoke since we were on our honeymoon in Alaska three years ago. And, then, we weren’t concerned with much more than the fact that the smoke was blocking our view of the mountains we’d come to see… this time it’s a little more scary.

So I’m going to go make some food. That always helps everything.

1. Mrs. T says:

I wonder if it’s ever been tried with cheddar? I detest velveeta, so I wonder how it’d do with cheddar instead. It looks delish!

October 23rd, 2007 at 4:16 pm

2. Mishel says:

Love you, Baby-girl…wish we were together eating that fudge! : )

Love,
    Mama

October 23rd, 2007 at 4:28 pm

3. BooMama says:

Be safe – y’all are in my prayers!

October 23rd, 2007 at 5:22 pm

4. Meghan G. from PA. says:

I’m praying for you, Ashleigh. My little brother saw a picture on our post gazette this morning and he showed my dad it and my little brother even read the caption….very concerned and you all are in my prayers….especially concerning the baby and your husband and father.

October 23rd, 2007 at 7:24 pm

5. Meghan G. from PA. says:

…whoops, forgot to add a lil detail on my comment: my little brother saw a picture of the fires in southern California and Ronnie (my little brother) said, “we need to pray for those people in Calwifornia,” and he did at the breakfast table!!

October 23rd, 2007 at 7:26 pm

6. Keith & Sarah Milligan says:

Ashleigh – y’all do have an evacuation plan in place just in case, you know, the fires come near you? Eeeek.

Keeping you in my prayers…

-Sarah

October 23rd, 2007 at 8:05 pm

7. JakesMom says:

I will keep you guys & your dad (& fam) in my prayers. Our sky looked like that yesterday, but today we could actually *see* the sky (it was blue, can you believe it!?!) My sis-in-law in Oceanside told me *yesterday* that her sky was blue, & I was like WHAT!?!? the sky is blue??? Now it’s switched. I’m sorry you’re getting smoked out now. This is terrible, isn’t it? {I understand your sentiments, about ‘baby stay in’ – even with the house closed up the last 3 days, when I sweep I get ashes!) Hang in there!

P.S. Can’t wait to try the pot pie! Your fudge pictures led me on an ice cream hunt over the weekend!

October 23rd, 2007 at 8:52 pm

8. JakesMom says:

OH! I keep forgetting to ask you!! How do you like the diaper sprayer?? I’m dying to get one. And 2day I had to dunk a super-messy dipe for the 1st time in 4ever, and I don’t like to! What kind is it? Does it splash a lot? Trying to decide if I should splurge & get the one that has the bucket with it, but it’s so bulky for our tiny bathrooms- but if sprayer splashes a lot then I might do it anyways. Sorry for the long comments! If you’ve used it & have the chance, you can comment back 2 me, or email me- RNMeg@cox.net (or call, 310-365-6007).

If we don’t get the chance to get together before you have baby, we’ll have to do it after mine is here– it would be fun! How cool that both our sons are so close in age… Troy & Jake ~3 months apart and Merrit (sp?) and {probably Austin} about 3 wks apart. We can be tired mamas together, and drink some yummy fall Starbucks drinks to stay afloat :)

October 23rd, 2007 at 10:49 pm

9. Tammy L says:

I’m glad you’re hanging in there… how nice to have John home for the day… how not-nice to have fires inthe area! Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

When I saw the cooking photos you posted the other day, I thought “I wonder if she is making Joshua’s mom’s enchiladas!” because I knew you had said you loved that recipe. :) So, do you make them up completely except for baking them, and then freeze them? Do you thaw them before baking, or just bake at a lower temperature for longer or something? :)

October 23rd, 2007 at 10:49 pm

10. Elizabeth says:

I’m still praying for you all!

October 24th, 2007 at 3:03 am

11. Julie Fink says:

You and your family are in my prayers daily. I’m going to try the lasagna! Glad you enjoyed the chicken pot pie recipe :)!

October 24th, 2007 at 6:56 am

12. Tiffany says:

Im so excited to make all the fun food!!!!

October 24th, 2007 at 3:58 pm