The Lovely Guide

Yummy Yummy Goodness

October 20, 2007

If I needed a cure for my cleaning obsession, this was it.

Because, let me tell you, there was nothing that could be called “cleaned up” about my kitchen yesterday.
My cousin Tiffany and bestest friend Bethany came out Thursday night with the intention of filling our freezer with a bunch of scrumptious meals for after the baby is born… so we did.
After staying up, um, quite late on Thursday night–which was certainly not part of the plan, but couldn’t be helped, now, with three girls needing some girlie talking time, could it?–we started out the day on Friday appropriately.
With a nice McDonald’s breakfast, of course.

Then we got to work. A few hours later, that is.

A little after NOON, :cough:, we headed out to the grocery store, filling the cart with all sorts of goodness and tiring Troy out completely by the time we got home–perfect, because we needed his nap time to get started with our culinary endeavors.

Then we donned our aprons and WENT TO TOWN, peeps.

The whole shebang started out making two pans of enchiladas.

While we waited for the whole chicken to cook so we could use the chicken meat, save the broth and use the pan for the lasagna noodles…

We worked really, really hard on the uh, sweet stuff.

Lots and LOTS of sweet stuff.

Because what are good meals without a little dessert to finish them off?

We had to, of course, make two pans of each sweet thing, because we weren’t going to fool ourselves. If we only made one, none would end up in the freezer. That’s just the fact of the matter, peeps.

Never fear, though, me hearties… we did go back to regular food once the chicken was done cooking and we’d strained and saved the broth.

These chicken pot pies are the bestest. So we made two.

And then… we got kinda tired of taking pictures every two minutes, so we just cooked…. leaving out pictures of the lasagna. Many apologies. Because that one dish is probably the best one of any we made.

What with the loads and oodles of cheese, cheese and a little more cheese on every layer.

It makes my mouth water just thinking about it… ahh, remembering the first time I had this delectable treat at John’s home a few days after he proposed to me. I was glad I was marrying into such a family that night.

I’m tempted to bake one of those pans (we made two–shocking, isn’t it??) tonight. But I won’t.

After the lasagna, I started to make the sauce for, of course, TWO dishes of baked spaghetti. But I was a little tired.

Thus explaining the double amount of water put in the sauce.

Poor little Troy had come down with the cold I had last week, and we all had some aching feet from being ON them all day, so we just followed his example… cleaned up and decided to call it a night.

Then we sat in the living room and did what the three of us do best…
(besides making lots of food to clog the arteries and cause gall bladder surgeries. Ahem.)

I won’t tell you exactly what we were looking at, but just know that this wasn’t posed. I doubt if you even entertained the notion that it was, though.

And, for the record–and because I just realized with glee that in the above computer-y picture I could pass for not being pregnant–I hope this is the last of these that will be taken for a Very Long Time:

Any day now, peeps…. any day.

Today would be nice.

Anyway, here’s the list of the damage done:

• Two pans beef, cheese and rice enchiladas
  • Two chicken pot pies
  • Two pans of the quite famous “John’s Mom’s Lasagna”
  • Fourteen cups chicken broth, stored and frozen in 2-cup “portions”
  • Two pans chocolaty fudge (a third of one pan has somehow disappeared, leaving us all quite baffled)
  • Two pans of “Grandma Lee’s Reese’s Pieces” (almost HALF of one of those pans is nowhere to be found–we are about ready to call the authorities on this one.)

And the two things we didn’t get to last night, but I’ll do myself in the next couple days:

• Two casserole dishes of baked spaghetti, with the correct amount of water in the sauce
  • A batch of peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie dough to be frozen in uncooked balls, ready to pop a couple in the oven as needed, for company and such. (Provided a certain man doesn’t eat them all raw… not that he’s ever been known to do such thing. Never. Ever.)

I think that between this and the meals the sweet ladies from church are planning to bring after the baby comes, we’ll be good to go. A few pounds heavier, perhaps, but VERY good to go. Thanks a bunch, my Tiffy and sissy!

1. Ruth says:

What a good idea! Believe me, you will be SO GLAD for all the frozen meals later on. Recovering from birth and trying to manage a house, meals and another blessing can be rather difficult for the first couple of weeks. = ) It was a great idea to get together with friends to do shopping and cooking, too! I may have to borrow the idea. = ) I have a friend who is due for # 5 two weeks after I am, so maybe I could persuade her.
    Your belly is so cute! I’ll be anxious to hear when you go into labor!

October 20th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

2. Leah says:

What a wonderful idea to make some frozen meals! I loved all your photos.. you all are so sweet in your little aprons. ;) You look so adorable, and I too, can’t wait to hear the baby news! :) BTW, I consider lasagna to be one of my *favorite* meals. ;)

October 20th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

3. C.A. Worcester says:

What a great post!!! It is so nice to see a smiling pregnant woman when she is about to POP!!!!! Can I say that I am NOT the smiling pregnant woman when she is about to “pop”…..but hey, when you are 41 maybe your body just isn’t like a spring chicken anymore. cluck. cluck.

Anyhoo, I would really like to know what that chocolate chip brew is on the stove top. It looks WONDERFUL. Can you give the recipe….of course only if you have time and energy. Maybe if you need energy you could eat some chocolate chips….that seems to work for me anyway. hee hee.

Love your blog. My daughter introduced it to me.

Many Blessings and Shalom to you and yours!!!

C.A. Worcester

October 20th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

4. Chantel Harding says:

*grin* What funness… makes me wish I had been able to hop in on the fun. ;) I love the aprons– especially Tiffany’s. So cute, all of you. :D

AND…my, but you tempt me to find something sweet to make and eat. Like..oh, carob or something “chocolatey” ;-P

And… we hopes Merritt knows that since you just made up all this food, he can come now. Of course, not that he’s been inclined to listen to anyone else on the matter.

October 20th, 2007 at 3:01 pm

5. Rebekah says:

Yum Yum! And that picture of Mr. John and Troy was just the sweetest… By the way, are you going to post recipes for all that delicious-looking stuff??!!

October 20th, 2007 at 4:56 pm

6. JakesMom says:

Yay! You guys were SOOO PRODUCTIVE!!!!! I’ve been trying to persuade my mom to let me freeze some casseroles in her freezer (as mine is too tiny!), but she says she would rather make us food & bring it… that makes me nervous, being the PLANNER I am! Everything sounds delicious, especially chicken pot pie, I need to try that! Good job!!! (going to raid my pantry for sweet stuff now!) lol
    -megan

October 20th, 2007 at 5:23 pm

7. Grafted Branch @ Restoring the Years says:

Yum yum good!

I love these kinds of posts…lots of candid pics. I know it’s a little bit of a hassle in the moment, but you’ll enjoy them so much later.

And we’re all enjoying them now!

October 20th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

8. Haus Frau says:

What a delightful blessing!

October 21st, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Good for you! I didn’t have any meals made when William made his debut, but our church was so wonderful the first two weeks, and then my mom came! So we were good to go for about the first month. :-) I hope to be a little more prepared next time, though. ;-)

October 21st, 2007 at 5:46 pm

10. BrittLeigh says:

awww!!! That looks like a total blast. And smart idea there… :) I’m sure come newborn baby time, you will be so grateful you took the time to do this.

October 21st, 2007 at 11:18 pm

Sounds fabulous – it’s 7:39am in MI, and I wish I had enchiladas and lasagna and chicken pot pie right! now! :)
    Thought about you this weekend, wondering if your little bebe decided to show up.
    Blessings!!

October 22nd, 2007 at 4:40 am

12. Elizabeth says:

Wow … you’ve been busy, all the food sounds great!

October 22nd, 2007 at 7:24 am

13. Tiffany says:

I had so much fun cooking and eatting! Mostly had fun eatting!!!! I loved palying with my little Troy man too! Thank you for having me over. Hopefully I will see you this week!

October 22nd, 2007 at 10:25 am

14. Debbie says:

Sounds like a wonderful day!! It was very nice for them to help you make so many meals.

October 23rd, 2007 at 8:43 am