Blissdom Conference ~ Nashville ~ February 4-6 2010

Gaining Altitude

February 10, 2010

We heave when we walk down the street. We’re lightheaded after bounding up the stairs. It takes effort to unload groceries from the truck to the kitchen. Boxes are much heavier than they were two weeks ago.

There are a lot of changes when one moves from being, literally, at sea level to a mountain village sitting at 10, 200 feet elevation. The severe lack of oxygen is a force with which to be reckoned.

I knew I’d have to seriously adjust my baking when I moved here. An extra quarter cup flour here, a little more baking powder there. But who would have thought that I’d have problems with my contact lenses–with my very vision? Or that I’d be ready for a nap by the time my little people hit their pillows each afternoon, and I’d still be needing toothpicks for my eyelids by nine o’clock at night? I didn’t foresee the voracious appetite that would set me into munchie mode by mid-morning every day.

(When I come up here to visit, I typically sleep a zillion extra hours, eat like a horse AND I lose weight. Go figure.)

(But I’ll take it.)

All of this is in addition to the freezing temps and the snow that lasts… well… most of the year.

Going from the lowlands to the high places isn’t exactly easy.

But people do it. Because it’s worth it.

MountainsSummer

Our Mountains ~ Summer

Breathtaking. Awe-inspiring.

Worth it.

What are your lowlands? Complacency? Self-righteousness? Cold-heartedness? Judgement? Anger? Bitterness?

What are the forces that drive you upward? Disillusionment? Betrayal? Confession? Brokenness? Loss?

Who are the companions that steal your oxygen? Shock? Despair? Anguish? Confusion? Abandonment? An aching spirit? Physical pain?

And what, oh beautiful friend, are the rewards? Redemption. Newness. Clarity. Beauty. Dancing. Wholeness. Restoration. Forgiveness. Jesus.

Altitude isn’t without difficulty. It pulls the very breath from our chests, affects our vision and is beyond exhausting.

But the fragile beauty, achingly alluring, can render the burning lungs, stinging eyes, chilly fingers and even the icy patches unspeakably valuable.

Leave the lowlands. Follow Him to the peaks.

1. Erin says:

lol, it would never have occured to me you would have to change things when you were baking because of the altitude. Hopefully you’ll adjust soon.

February 11th, 2010 at 12:31 am

It’s gorgeous there!
    And what a unique, beautiful analogy you have for us today! :)
    Thank you for the reminders… and the thought provokin’!

February 11th, 2010 at 6:49 am

Good thoughts, girl. The metaphors couldn’t be more true! Praying all of you adjust and grow like crazy beautiful mountain wildflowers! ;)

February 11th, 2010 at 7:29 am

4. Caren says:

I am so glad you all got there safe. Thank the Lord for answered prayer. I will be praying that your acclamation is swift. All my love to you and yours, Lord bless you.

February 11th, 2010 at 10:07 am

5. Aubrey says:

How have I not found you before Blissdom? Thanks for a great post!

February 11th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

6. Christian @ Modobject at Home says:

Wow, what a post to spark some heart and soul searching… yet what hope and promise there is climbing high, despite the struggle.

February 11th, 2010 at 2:09 pm

7. Chantel says:

Living in the high places made me drink water like crazy. I did eat quite a bit, too, but then I always did. :)

Those mountains over there are some of my most favorite in Colorado. I love them. :)

February 11th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

8. Sarah says:

LOVE that picture. Are you near Vail? We’re down in Arvada. A bunch of us do a big reenactment down here twice a year… I think it’d be cool if you could bring the boys down! Here’s the info: http://visionheirs.com/lhdays/lhdays2.htm

February 11th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Beautiful! I love how you turn your every day into a lesson. Into something you may need to see but also what your readers need to see. Your ability to write amazes me every time I read your posts every time my eyes skim through,the hurts,victories,lessons and trials in your life. I love how I can relate, how I can learn, how I can ponder on the subject at hand.

Oh, and about the mountains…has your ears popped yet? Chew LOTS of gum!! :) After 8 years living in the mountains my ears still pop once in a while!

February 13th, 2010 at 7:55 am