A Brother

September 16, 2010

He is four and a half years younger than me.

And we look alike.

Our hair is the same color.

Our eyes, too.

Also? We think alike.

We laugh at the same crazy quirky jokes.

We even speak our own language.

(Truly. It’s called Ishkabibble. And it’s da bomb.)

We stay up late, talking and suppressing laughter, just the way we have since we were little kids.

When he was small, he wore buckskins and World War I outfits. He did an amazing impersonation of Sgt. York.

Now? He wears faux nerd glasses, bow ties on planes flying to Nashville just because he can and totally rocks a bright purple and lime green fanny pack.

(Yes, I’m serious.)

Also, he purposely doesn’t make crazy faces for pictures, when we say we will, just so I’ll look like the weirdo.

He walks in our front door, a flood of sunshine, brightening our lives in an instant.

His nephews climb up, hanging on his long arms and legs, this tall boy, thin as could be.

They wrestle and giggle, peppering him with questions and stories of toys and preschool.

He is patient and laughs right along with him.

We talk while we cook. He puts garlic salt on the eggs and relishes in flavor.

He’s going to be a chef.

We webcam with his beautiful girlfriend in the evening and I laugh at them.

There is another girl of his dreams in his life now, and, unexpectedly, I’m okay with it.

We drive around town the next day, looking at old houses and thinking up stories for each dilapidated building.

The Beatles play and we sing along, top of our lungs.

We tell each other everything, he and I.

Sometimes we get mad and we yell and we wave our hands around while we talk.

Passionate about everything and always dramatic, both of us.

But we always end up laughing. We crack up till we’re rolling on the floor.

We can never stay upset long.

We live a few hours apart, separate lives.

And yet, this connection will always be.

Us.

Brother and sister.

Everyone needs a 19 year old brother.

1. Sara Sophia says:

Your brother is most DEF a treasure.

(and you aren’t allowed
    to tell him I said so–
    say something like
    “YO YO YO WHADDUP?” instead)

Thankyou for sharing him with me :)

–C.

September 16th, 2010 at 11:19 pm

2. Christine says:

How wonderful. :o)

September 17th, 2010 at 6:08 am

3. Jenni says:

I have three younger brothers (no sisters!) and I love them! I’m closest to the one that’s 18 months younger than me. We have been like best friends since he was born. Thanks for this reminder… Blessings on you day, amiga! :)

September 17th, 2010 at 7:10 am

4. Breanne says:

Yes, I totally agree. Except my brother is 18. He is a tremendous source of joy and laughter to me and I love seeing how he sees the world.

September 17th, 2010 at 7:18 am

5. Melissa Brotherton says:

This…made me miss my brother so much! Mine is also 4 years younger than me, but he’s 26. He just got married two months ago. Sigh. She’s nice, but I miss him.

September 17th, 2010 at 7:56 am

6. Naomi Elle says:

TOTALLY feel ya on this….
    My little bro is 20 and one of my best friends… We have that same sense of humor going on. He makes a joke and I’m the only one that laughs. We have that “secret communication” thing. In a crowded room, someone says something and I catch his eye and know exactly what he’s thinking. He’s my favorite road trip buddy ever, my favorite person to watch movies late at night with, and the person I miss the most (even tho I haven’t lived at home for 2 years!)… I trust his discernment and value his advice. I argue with him passionately and love him so much.

Brothers are awesome! :)

September 17th, 2010 at 8:17 am

7. sarge charlie says:

nice post miss ashleigh

September 17th, 2010 at 8:30 am

8. Lisa-Jo @thegypsymama says:

Oh ache! Now I miss mine! LOVE me some brother time!

September 17th, 2010 at 8:33 am

And I have to say *AWWW*
    I have 4 brothers- 23, 20, 18 and almost 16. I’m esp. close to the 23 yr old. The 18 yr old bro of mine sounds a lot like yours. Goofy and can totally rock the nerdiness! He’s a lot of fun. :)
    Yep, brothers are AweSoMe.

And wow, your brother is growing up!!

September 17th, 2010 at 8:34 am

10. Karen says:

I was never close to my older brothers…but it’s a joy to watch my 24 yr old daughter and my 27 yr old son love on each other. When they’re together (he lives in California…she lives in Ohio)they laugh at each other and make everyone else laugh with them! They def have their own language…and it drives me nuts!!! But…I treasure them and I know that they will be there for each other…even after I’m long gone!!

September 17th, 2010 at 8:41 am

11. åslaug abigail says:

This is such a neat post! I have 1 brother, he’s your age, actually, and then I adopted an American family (soon to be my in-love’s) with a 20 yr old, 17, 22(though I’ll have to call him my husband) and 8 yr old brother =)

*Praying*

September 17th, 2010 at 8:49 am

Love them little Bro’s, specially those Z’s, they’re the bomb diggity!

September 17th, 2010 at 9:24 am

13. Tracey says:

this is the kind of sibling relationship everyone who doesn’t have, craves

September 17th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

14. Gabrielle Louise says:

ugh! are you kidding! you make it sound so romantic. LOL! ehhh… I love my bro too ;)

September 17th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

15. Mallory D says:

Wowzers! I have wanted to/planned on commenting on here so many times before…but this post fo shiz strikes a cord with me! LOL, I actually have seven brothers…though one is masrried & lives far away.

I’m your reverse miss Ashleigh- I’m 19 with a brothe r who is four years older then me! Wow, I could go on & on about my bros…I can’t imagine what life would be like without them!
    And, though I do have two pretty hilarious, fun sisters…there’s just something about a brother! =)

September 18th, 2010 at 12:48 am

I have an almost 19 year old brother too!! He is the greatest! A few weeks ago a group of us went to Friendly’s and Aaron paid for my ice cream because I didn’t have a small bill on me… when we got home I mention paying him back and he said “nope!” lol ;)

September 18th, 2010 at 11:40 am

17. Abby says:

So sweet. great fun pics & memories.

September 18th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

18. Kaycee says:

This is so lovely. SO lovely.

September 18th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I’ve always wanted a brother, Ash, and you make me want one even more. :) So sweet.

September 18th, 2010 at 11:21 pm